Breaking News
  • February 7Early Release Day: March 8, 2024
  • February 7Early Release Day: Feb. 28, 2024
  • February 7Student & Staff Holiday: Feb. 19, 2024
  • February 7Staff Professional Development: Feb. 15, 16 2024
  • January 11Spring Break: March 9-16 2024

The Round Table

The Student News Site of Lake Travis High School

The Round Table

The Round Table

“Take it From Me”: Course Selection Advice From Upperclassmen

Creator: Cicy Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto

It’s no secret that all high school students face enormous amounts of pressure when it comes to building their college resume. With Lake Travis course selection fast approaching, the pressure is especially building for rising juniors. Considering the many AP and OnRamps courses to choose from, it can be difficult to predict which classes create a balanced workload and if they will be enjoyable.

This is why some of the best advice on which classes to take can come from upperclassmen who have already experienced them. They understand the effort that goes into the classes they take, which can help steer rising juniors in the right direction to complete their goals for the rest of high school and beyond.

Many students struggle with classes that are memorization-focused and prefer a more hands-on approach to learning. AP Biology is a class that is tailored to these types of people. “We also do a lot of projects, so the class is not geared more towards memorization but rather really learning to grasp the concepts,” said Sam Lyssey, a Lake Travis junior who plans to study on a pre-vet track in college. “[AP biology] is the most interesting science class I have taken and has caused me to understand the world better,” she continued.

For those looking to study an artistic field after high school, there are many AP and OnRamps classes that give a headstart on required courses and skills in college. “OnRamps English was super fun, we researched and wrote detailed essays and that was pretty much the whole class,” said Trey Lauren, a Lake Travis senior who plans to study cinematography in college. Having writing skills can benefit students regardless of their career interests, but especially those interested in the humanities, such as future film writers like Lauren.

For students who aren’t sure what they want to do after high school, having adequate research skills is a valuable quality that will come in handy in college and in most career paths. These skills can be gained through AP Seminar and AP Research, collectively known as the AP Capstone program. “Seminar has taught me argumentation skills that I just don’t think are stressed enough in other English classes,” explained Olivia Decaprio, a junior who plans to go into the biology and neuroscience fields. “It is 100% a lot of work, but I don’t think the work itself is too difficult, just more so time consuming. Also, I get to write about and research things that interest me.”

These are just a few snippets of the great advice that can come from Lake Travis upperclassmen. In addition to asking a school counselor about different AP and OnRamps classes, consider asking an older sibling, friend, or classmate which ones they recommend. Of course, it’s important to make course selection decisions based on a variety of factors and information, but knowing the ins and outs of certain classes before committing to them can help students develop a steady shedule for their junior year.