Breaking News
  • February 7Early Release Day: March 8, 2024
  • February 7Early Release Day: Feb. 28, 2024
  • February 7Student & Staff Holiday: Feb. 19, 2024
  • February 7Staff Professional Development: Feb. 15, 16 2024
  • January 11Spring Break: March 9-16 2024

The Round Table

The Student News Site of Lake Travis High School

The Round Table

The Round Table

Reading Rom Coms: Where to Start

John Felise

This Valentine’s Day, reading a romance novel is a fun activity that can be enjoyed by anyone, regardless of relationship status. From fantasy romance, to contemporary, to rom-coms, there is something for everyone. But with such a large selection to choose from, finding the perfect Valentine’s Day read might be tricky. These unique and highly-rated book recommendations can help you find a new favorite.

1. The Bodyguard by Katherine Center

This contemporary romance novel is perfect for people who enjoy a quick, easy read. It follows bodyguard Hannah Brooks, who protects high class people for a living. When Hannah is hired to be the bodyguard of the famous superstar Jack Stapleton, it should be a simple job – but she finds herself stuck in a beautiful Texas ranch pretending to be his girlfriend. If you’re looking for a brief but well-written book with fun and popular tropes, then The Bodyguard is for you.

2. The Cheat Sheet by Sarah Aadams

The Cheat Sheet is a friends-to-lovers romance centered around dance instructor Bree Camden and famous quarterback Nathan Donelson, best friends since high school. Both characters have hidden their love for each other for years, until Bree accidentally confesses everything to a reporter. This fake dating novel is perfect for people who are looking for a unique spin on the classic ‘fake-dating’ trope.

3. Better Than the Movies by Lynn Painter

This modern take on a love triangle follows Liz, who has a longtime crush on her childhood friend Michael who moved away when they were young. Years later, when Michael is back in town, she enlists the help of her annoying neighbor Wes to help make Michael notice her. Its lighthearted nature and engaging pacing makes Better Than the Movies a fun romance suitable for teenagers and adults alike.

4. The Do Over by Lynn Painter

Another fan-favorite by Lynn Painter, The Do Over is a charismatic story that follows the classic “Groundhog Day” trope. After facing Valentine’s Day that didn’t go according to plan, perfectionist main character Emily wakes up to find herself back on the morning of Valentine’s Day. She gets stuck on an endless repeat of that day, unable to get away from her boyfriend’s infidelity and a new love interest whom she keeps running into. An adorable high school romance, The Do Over is perfect for teenagers of all ages.

5. Call Me Maybe by Cara Bastone

This modern-day meet-cute is perfect for anyone looking for a relatable and fun read. It follows main character Liz, who knows all the things she can accomplish while on hold with customer service: painting your toenails the wrong color, picking up the wrong coffee and bagel order, and waiting for hours in slow traffic from New Jersey to New York. When love interest Cal finally picks up Liz’s call and helps her out, they start texting, flirting, and slowly start to develop feelings. The first of three novels, Call Me Maybe is suitable for readers who are looking to start a new series.