Breaking News
  • February 7Early Release Day: March 8, 2024
  • February 7Early Release Day: Feb. 28, 2024
  • February 7Student & Staff Holiday: Feb. 19, 2024
  • February 7Staff Professional Development: Feb. 15, 16 2024
  • January 11Spring Break: March 9-16 2024

The Round Table

The Student News Site of Lake Travis High School

The Round Table

The Round Table

Playoffs or Days Off

Does Cav Nation Have What It Takes?
Carol Rhodes

It’s no secret that every high school team’s dream is to win the state championship, but only a handful have the potential to chase it.  The question on everyone’s mind is, does Cav Nation have what it takes to secure the title and earn their seventh championship ring?

The Cavaliers were a force of nature in high school football between 2006-2011, becoming the first Texas football program to win five consecutive state championships.  They won their sixty state title in 2016, finishing with a stunning 15-1 record.  Among their roster that season was NFL wide receiver, Garrett Wilson, who currently plays for the New York Jets (#17).

LT is also regarded as one of the top Division 1 quarterback-producing high schools in the nation, already giving rise to a Heisman winner and nine D-1 quarterbacks, with more on the way.

“Although we’ve fallen short in two games, the varsity season has been an overall success so far,” says Hank Carter, the LT Head Football Coach.  “We have a lot of talented players and [he thinks] we can go a long way in the playoffs if we stay healthy and focused.”

Cam’ren-Chance Brooks, a safety for the Cavs, says, “Compared to last seasons, the camaraderie is better, so the improvements and things that y’all are seeing this year is from a brotherhood that we didn’t have last year.”

Of the 64 players on the varsity lineup, 38 are seniors, 18 are juniors, and eight are sophomores.  This means that next year, the football team will unfortunately lose around 60% of the roster.  “Our seniors have had a great four years in the football program, and we’re looking for them to finish strong in the playoffs,” said Carter. “There are lots of players that do a great job day in and day out.”

Regarding the remainder of varsity, Carter mentions, “We have several juniors and sophomores that have contributed on varsity this year as well, and they’re gaining valuable experience.”

Cav Nation (8-2) will face the Vandegrift Vipers (10-0) at Ed W. Monroe Memorial Stadium on Friday, November 10th at 6:30 p.m.

Cav Nation?  Let’s go!!!!!