Breaking News
  • February 7Early Release Day: March 8, 2024
  • February 7Early Release Day: Feb. 28, 2024
  • February 7Student & Staff Holiday: Feb. 19, 2024
  • February 7Staff Professional Development: Feb. 15, 16 2024
  • January 11Spring Break: March 9-16 2024

The Round Table

The Student News Site of Lake Travis High School

The Round Table

The Round Table

Hidden Gems of Austin

A Guide to Thrift Shopping in ATX

In the heart of Austin lies a treasure trove of hidden gems waiting to be discovered by the thrifty and the eclectic alike.  From vintage boutiques nestled along South Congress Avenue to quirky thrift stores tucked away in the city’s vibrant neighborhoods, Austin offers a haven for those in search of unique finds and secondhand riches.  The city’s diverse cultural tapestry is woven into the fabric of these thrift stores; each with its own character and charm.  Join me on a journey through some of the most intriguing and beloved thrift spots in Austin, where the past finds new life and every corner tells a story.

Buffalo Exchange stands tall as a vibrant sanctuary for fashion enthusiasts and eco-conscious shoppers alike.  Each garment carries a distinct tale, embodying the essence of its past and anticipating a fresh chapter with its new owner.  Among its standout attractions, Buffalo boasts a captivating wall adorned with an array of hats, and wide collection of pants, adding a unique touch to its diverse collection.

“It’s fun going in the morning before the rush,” said Liam Parry, a junior at LTHS.  “Even when other people do come, its still a vibe and everyone’s supportive and respectful of each other.”

Pavement is the next stop just two stores down!  This jewel of a spot curates pre-loved treasures spanning eras and styles, inviting shoppers to unearth one-of-a-kind fashion statements.  Stepping into Pavement means stepping into a world where sustainability intertwines with style and onto a playground built for creativity and individuality.

Main selling points include their big bucks of $1 items and their tremendous jean selection (even though they are a bit on the pricier side).  If baggy sweaters and jackets are your thing, this is the place to shop!  With each visit, patrons snag not only unique pieces but also contribute to a more sustainable fashion ecosystem, making Pavement a must-visit for those seeking value.

Ladies of Charity Thrift Shop exudes a timeless charm, curated by a dedicated group of experienced women whose passion for community shines through their carefully selected offerings.  Situated conveniently close to the school grounds, it stands as a beacon for quality.  Main selling points include jewelry (faux and real), and the random assortment of books, technology, and kitchenware.

There is an abundant clothing section as well, although teen apparel may be more difficult to find.  The discerning curation reflects the expertise and taste of the women who run the organization, offering a unique selection that resonates with a classic and refined sensibility.  Shopping here isn’t merely about finding a garment; it’s about supporting a community of dedicated individuals and embracing a sense of sophistication and history in every purchase.

Whether you’re Christmas shopping for family or friends (or yourself), these are just a few of the places in Austin to stretch your holiday budget this season.  So get out there, Cavs!  Enjoy the cooler temps, the fabulous finds, and make the most of this holiday season.