Breaking News
  • February 7Early Release Day: March 8, 2024
  • February 7Early Release Day: Feb. 28, 2024
  • February 7Student & Staff Holiday: Feb. 19, 2024
  • February 7Staff Professional Development: Feb. 15, 16 2024
  • January 11Spring Break: March 9-16 2024

The Round Table

The Student News Site of Lake Travis High School

The Round Table

The Round Table

Your Phone Can Wait

The Dangers of Driving and Texting

Recently, a distracted driver on their phone during pick-up at Rough Hollow Elementary school accidentally struck and injured an officer who was working at the school.  The officer received minor injuries and, as of today, the LTISD police department has not released the identities of those involved.  

This tragic event should serve as a reminder to all of us about the dangers of cellphone use, especially when driving. 

Even a simple act like walking with a phone in your hand can lead to a tremendous drop in spatial awareness.  A 2023 study by Wiley Research found that half of the participants wouldn’t notice a clown on a unicycle while walking with a phone in hand.  When we’re driving, the stakes rise exponentially; instead of looking out for a clown on a unicycle, it could be a stray truck drifting into our lane. 

Or it could be a traffic cop at an elementary school.  

By distracting ourselves from the road, we’re slowing down our reaction time by up to four times as much, according to the Texas A&M Transportation Institute.  Those few precious seconds are where accidents occur.  Where people die.  

When we’re preoccupied with the Snap we received, or the text our friend just sent, or what playlist is going on in the car, we’re not looking where we’re driving.  It’s as simple as that.  This has – not could have – it HAS deadly consequences.  

The incident is only a symptom of a disease in our state.  In 2022, over 2,800 Texans were seriously injured and 487 died from distracted drivers.  Why can’t we give our full attention to the road?  Why are our texts and our online clout so important that we risk the lives of others? 

In an online age, it is imperative that we remember to disconnect, even if it’s only when we’re getting from Point A to Point B.  No matter what, respecting everyone on the road takes precedence.  

Your phone can wait.  Don’t text and drive.  Especially in a school zone.